Monday, November 29, 2004

Reality Bites

Sometyimes it really does. Reality dictates that we have only limited resources to help people. We have people who are limited in their ability to receive help. We are not limited in thenumber of people we can help. The needs themselves seem limitless, unending.

Jesus said: "the poor you will always have with you." The truth of that really strikes me today. Having to weigh needs feels too much like having to weigh people sometimes. Trying to have a rationale for acting or not acting feels too much like raionalising away people. I know I am making sense; it is simply impossible, if not irrresponsible, to try to meet every need. But I can't help but feel like I am being heartless.

It is such a responsibility. It is a privilege, but it is not without its cost. My very own heart of love and desire to help others cuts me because I cannot do all I would want. And my reponsibility, my corner of the Lord's vineyard, is very very small in the scheme of things.
I cannnot for the life of me imagine why ayone would want to even contemplate being responsible for the whole of it, even having God's resources. I lack the wisdom to handle what I have; I cannot begin to consider having more.

Lord, help us.

No comments: